Saturday 31 January 2015

Wolf Hall fascinates viewers to BBC

The BBC's "Wolf Hall" adapted from Man Booker prize winning author Dame Hilary Mantel's two novels (Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies) continues to win critical acclaim from all quarters. That is despite the authentic dimly candle-lit scenes that have inconvenienced some viewers.

And so I have found myself peering very closely at the food that appears on the screen, in the hope of reproducing as much of it as I can at dollshouse miniature one inch (or 1/12th) scale. I have viewed some scenes many times, using the rewind button.  But even after many views, pencil poised above my notepad, it is sometimes difficult to ascertain precisely what is being served and eaten!

This is a labour of love though! The atmospheric scene settings and acting are impeccable. So what if I cannot tell the difference between a damson and some other English plum in a fruit bowl piled high and barely registering during a brief panning of the camera! I will just have to model both types of fruit. And what were those small white chunks - fish, most probably herring?

So far in Episode One we have been treated to a Cromwell household breakfast of wholegrain brown bread - termed "maslin" bread in  its day - and boiled eggs.
Twelfth scale Tudor food Wolf Hall maslin bread- wholegrain rye and expensive wheat grains

One inch scale Tudor dollhouse food Wolf Hall boiled eggs by MedievalMorsels

Wolf 
Then we have had sumptious cherries on a fine plate offered by Cardinal Wolsey to Thomas Cromwell whilst seated at his writing desk. I did have fun modelling these, choosing a plate for them and posing them with some lovely dollshouse scale medieval maps since I did not have miniature parchment scrolls to hand. Perhaps I need to make some......

MedievalMorsels authentic one inch scale Tudor food -from Wolf Hall Cardinal Wolsey's cherries

No comments:

Post a Comment